Bad Breath Treatment Online
WHAT IS BAD BREATH?
Bad breath, medically called halitosis, is an embarrassing condition for an individual resulting out of poor oral / dental hygiene. Bad breath is the presence of foul smell in one’s breath.
It is a result of poor health habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath can also be made worse by the types of foods that one eats and other unhealthy lifestyle habits.
WHAT CAUSES BAD BREATH?
Bad breath can result from the following factors:
- Poor mouth hygiene is the primary factor.
- It can be due to some underlying disease
- Unhealthy lifestyle.
- Certain kind of food. (E.g. eating food that have strong odor like garlic etc.)
- 90% of bad breath comes from proteins broken down in your mouth. When bad breath is caused by oral problems, it usually smells like rotten eggs.
Bad breath is a sign of poor oral hygiene. Studies suggest 5%-10% of bad breath is due to disease outside the mouth. However, due to the mouth-body connection, it means that other bad breath smells can tell about the problems elsewhere in the body.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OR TYPES OF BAD BREATH?
If any type of smell in breath is identified, it can help to pinpoint its origin.
The different types of smell found in different systemic diseases causing bad breath are:
- A cheesy smell usually indicates your bad breath has a nasal origin.
- A fruity smell may indicate uncontrolled diabetes
- A fishy smell may indicate kidney disease, as increased urea levels can cause a fishy smell
- An acidic smell can be a sign of asthma or cystic fibrosis
- A scent of ammonia can indicate kidney problems
- A fecal odor may point to a bowel obstruction
Visit a doctor online to overcome bad breath issues.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR BAD BREATH?
Following are some of the treatments for bad breath:
- The first step is to go for a thorough dental examination and maintain good oral hygiene.
- There are natural remedies and supplements that help in the curing bad breath.
- Upon diagnosis, the source of the bad breath can be traced to and further treatment can follow accordingly. It is not just bad breath that is offensive, but it also indicates the unhealthy conditions in the digestive system or in any particular organ.
- Once the cause has been identified, a systemic treatment can be followed. If poor oral hygiene is the cause, then regular antimicrobial mouth wash use can be of help.
- Usually the most effective treatment is improving dental hygiene. As part of one’s daily routine, one should: Floss between the teeth.
- Cleaning dentures: Dentures should be taken out at night, cleaned thoroughly using soap and kept in luke warm water before putting them on next morning.
Brush teeth and gums
Clean the tongue.
Following are some of health tips to promote fresh breath:
- Give up smoking
- Eat healthy balanced diet and avoid eating strongly flavoured or spicy food.
- Cut down on sugary food as they increase bacteria in your mouth.
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Drink plenty of water to prevent drying up of mouth
- Cut down on coffee.
- Visit your dentist regularly for dental checkups and removal of plaques and calculus to avoid any bad breath.
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily