Consult to Cure Eye Problems
Eye diseases or disorders are of a wide variety. Cataract, glaucoma, refractive errors are major causes of visual impairment and preventable blindness. Cataract is the leading cause of blindness accounting for 66.2% cases of blindness, and 80.7% of cases of severe visual impairment followed by refractive error and glaucoma.
Figure 1: Causes of Blindness
80% of blindness cases in India are curable or preventable.
National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey India (2015-19) reported that there is a decrease in the prevalence of blindness [Figure 2] and visual impairment in persons above 50 years [Figure 3] because of timely intervention.
Figure 2: Prevalence of blindness in India over the years
Figure 3: Reduction in visual impairment cases in India
Common Eye Problems Among Indians
- Eyestrain [tiredness in the eyes]
- Refractive Errors [short-sightedness, farsightedness, distorted vision] - Uncorrected refractive error is a preventable cause of visual impairment in India
- Dry eye syndrome - Tear glands are not able to make enough tears
- Night Blindness [Nyctalopia] - Difficulty to see in low light
- Conjunctivitis [Allergic / bacterial / Viral] - It is an inflammation of the conjunctiva
- Amblyopia - It is reduced vision in one eye due to vision development disorder
- Eye floaters - Spots [strings, rings, cobwebs] in the vision
- Retina disorders
- Blepharitis - Inflammation of the eyelid causing crusty /dry eyelid, stickiness, grittiness.
- Cataract: A cataract is an opacity within the clear lens of the eye
- Glaucoma - It is a condition where increased intraocular pressure may result in damage to the optic nerve
What Causes Eye Problems?
- Infection, allergy, vitamin deficiency, chemical irritants, genetics, smoking etc are some of the common causes of eye problems
- Cataract - Etiology could be aging, hereditary, UV-Rays, dietary deficiency of vitamin E, C , B, and proteins
- Glaucoma - Too much aqueous production or obstruction of its outflow from the eye causes an increase in the intraocular pressure (IOP), can lead to glaucoma. Over time, high eye pressure can cause irreversible nerve damage and vision loss
- Xerophthalmia - This is the most common cause of blindness in children. It is caused due to vitamin A deficiency
Symptoms Associated with Eye Problems
Various eye symptoms and diseases are listed in the disease in Table 1
Symptoms that demands immediate consultation include
- Severe eye pain
- Change in vision or sudden loss of vision
- Blurred vision
- Watery and red eyes
- The foreign body inside the eye and trauma to the eye
Treating Eye Problems
Various diseases and their probable treatment are given in the table below [Table 1]
||Medical and Surgery|
|Watery eye||Excessive tearing||Treat the cause|
|Night Blindness||Difficult to see in dark or low light||Treat the cause|
|Dry eye Syndrome||
||Antibiotic/ antihistaminic eye drops or ointments|
If you notice difficulty in your sight, constant irritation and should the basic home remedies not suffice, take online eye doctor consultation at your convenience.
An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (eye specialist) who diagnoses and treats eye disorders while an optometrist is trained to perform an eye examination and can prescribe corrective glasses.
When there is severe eye pain, change in vision, sudden loss of vision, floaters, and trauma to the eye.
An ophthalmologist diagnoses and treats eye diseases.
Online test for visual acuity and refractive error are usually accurate.
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily