Control High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
What is Hypertension?
Hypertension (High blood pressure) is one of the leading causes of the global burden of diseases. High blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood against your artery walls is high enough to eventually cause health problems, such as Coronary Heart disease, congestive heart disease, congestive heart failure, ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, renal failure and peripheral artery disease.
What causes Hypertension?
The causes of hypertension can be traced to:
- Obesity, lack of exerciseand sedentary lifestyle
- Low intake of calcium and potassium
- Genetic considerations
- Other underlying medical conditions such as Pheochromocytoma (A hormone-secreting tumour that can occur in the adrenal glands).
What are the Symptoms of Hypertension?
- Headache that usually occurs in the morning and is localized to occipital region
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of breath
- Vision Problems
- Easy fatigability
What is The management of Hypertension?
The management of hypertension would include:
- Lifestyle modification (weight reduction)
- Dietary salt reduction
- Moderation of alcohol consumption
- Physical activity
- 5. Pharmacological therapy
- ACE inhibitors Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers
- Beta blockers
- Alpha- androgenic Blockers
- Calcium channel blockers
If you do suffer from hypertension, especially over a long period and experience breathlessness or sudden bursts of pain, consult a doctor online immediately. It is very important, otherwise, due to the lack of oxygen in the blood supply, it may give rise to the untoward situation.
Blood Pressure chart for Categorization
|Classification||Systolic BP (mm Hg)||Diastolic (mm Hg)|
|Normal Blood Pressure||<120 mm Hg||and||< 80 mm Hg|
|Elevated blood pressure||Between 120–129||and||< 80|
|Stage 1 hypertension||Between 130–139||or||80–89|
|Stage 2 hypertension||140 or higher||or||90 or higher|
Treatment of High Blood Pressure (BP)
Treatment of high blood pressure includes a healthy heart Diet, lifestyle modifications and medicines. This can very well control hypertension but does not cure it.
Home remedies to control High Blood Pressure
- Reduce salt intake(to less than 5g daily)
- Consume more fruit and vegetables
- Reduce the saturated and total fat content
- Exercise should be included in a daily regime
- Avoid Smoking/ use of tobacco
- Reduce Alcohol consumption
- Reduce stress
The Person with elevated B.P and stage 1 high B.P.[with no risk or history of stroke /heart disease] should consult the doctor for adjustment in diet and lifestyle. Medicines are recommended for stage 1 hypertension (with risks of developing Cardiovascular Disease) and Stage 2 hypertension.
The regular blood pressure check is needed to prevent complications.
Blood Pressure Monitoring Methods
- Clinic readings by Doctors.
- Home- blood pressure monitoring  by the patient
- 24-hour ambulatory readings
Unhealthy Diet with high salt consumption, lack of physical activity, being overweight, stress, smoking and alcohol consumption are the common causes of Hypertension.
High blood pressure may not cause any symptoms for a long time, though some people might experience morning headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, flushed face, fatigue and vision changes.
Low salt in diet, regular exercise, reduction in stress and non-smoking will lead to lowering in blood pressure.
No, it does not cause high blood pressure.
 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guidelines for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults. Available at: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/HYP.0000000000000065
 Hypertensive Crisis include Hypertensive urgency where patients either need urgent medical attention, or immediate changes in medication if no damage to the organ, or Hypertensive Emergency where Immediate hospitalization is needed if there are signs of organ damage (brain, heart, or kidneys).
 Lama Ghazi and Suzanne Oparil et al. Impact of the SPRINT Trial on Hypertension Management. Annual Review of Medicine. Vol. 69:81-95
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily