Control High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure (hypertension) is one of the leading causes of the global burden of diseases.
High blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood against your artery walls is high enough to eventually cause health problems, such as
- Coronary Heart disease
- Congestive heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes
- Renal failure
- Peripheral artery disease
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
The causes of hypertension can be traced to:
- Obesity, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle
- Low intake of calcium and potassium
- Genetic considerations
- Other underlying medical conditions such as Pheochromocytoma (A hormone-secreting tumor that can occur in the adrenal glands).
High Blood Pressure Symptoms
- Headache that usually occurs in the morning and is localized to the occipital region
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of breath
- Vision Problems
- Easy fatigability
Management of Hypertension
The management of hypertension(Bp) would include:
- Lifestyle modification (weight reduction)
- Dietary salt reduction
- Moderation of alcohol consumption
- Physical activity
- Pharmacological therapy
- ACE inhibitors Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers
- Alpha- androgenic Blockers
- Calcium channel blockers
If you do suffer from hypertension, especially over a long period and experience breathlessness or sudden bursts of pain, consult a doctor online immediately. It is very important, otherwise, due to the lack of oxygen in the blood supply, it may give rise to the untoward situation.
Blood Pressure chart for Categorization 1
|Classification||Systolic BP (mm Hg)||Diastolic (mm Hg)|
|Normal Blood Pressure||<120 mm Hg||and||< 80 mm Hg|
|Elevated blood pressure||Between 120–129||and||< 80|
|Stage 1 hypertension||Between 130–139||or||80–89|
|Stage 2 hypertension||140 or higher||or||90 or higher|
Treatment of High Blood Pressure (BP)
Treatment of high blood pressure includes a healthy heart Diet, lifestyle modifications and medicines. This can very well control hypertension but does not cure it.
Home remedies to control High Blood Pressure
- Reduce salt intake(to less than 5g daily)
- Consume more fruit and vegetables
- Reduce the saturated and total fat content
- Exercise should be included in a daily regime
- Avoid Smoking/ use of tobacco
- Reduce Alcohol consumption
- Reduce stress
The Person with elevated B.P and stage 1 high B.P. [with no risk or history of stroke /heart disease] should consult the doctor for adjustment in diet and lifestyle. Medicines are recommended for stage 1 hypertension (with risks of developing Cardiovascular Disease) and Stage 2 hypertension.
The regular blood pressure check is needed to prevent complications.
- Clinic readings by Doctors
- Home - blood pressure monitoring by the patient
- 24-hour ambulatory readings
Unhealthy Diet with high salt consumption, lack of physical activity, being overweight, stress, smoking and alcohol consumption are the common causes of Hypertension.
High blood pressure may not cause any symptoms for a long time, though some people might experience morning headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, flushed face, fatigue and vision changes.
Low salt in the diet, regular exercise, reduction in stress and non-smoking will lead to lowering in blood pressure.
No, it does not cause high blood pressure.
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily