Consult a Doctor to Stop Hair fall
Hair loss is defined as the thinning of hair on the scalp and the medical term attributed to it is alopecia.
Causes of Hair Fall
The main causes of hair fall are
- Medical conditions (e.g. anemia and thyroid disorders)
- Hair lice (Pediculosis), dandruff
- Hormonal changes
- Metabolic imbalances, illness or improper nutrition
Types of Hair Fall
The types of hair fall are listed in the below table.
|Types of Hair Fall||Symptoms||Causes|
|Involutional alopecia||Thinning of hair||Aging|
|Androgenetic alopecia||Thins at the top just behind the hairline||Genetics Hormonal imbalance|
|Alopecia areata||Patches of hair loss||Autoimmune disease|
|Alopecia Universalis||All hair fallout from the body||Genetic, autoimmune, environmental|
|Telogen effluvium||Accelerated shedding||Stress, fever, After surgery|
|Anagen effluvium||Rapid hair loss||Chemotherapy medication|
|Scarring Alopecia (Cicatricial alopecia)||Permanent loss of hair||Scarring due to inflammation(acne, cellulitis)|
|Trichotillomania||Irresistible urge to pull out own hair from the body||Obsessive-compulsive disorder|
|Traction alopecia||Thinning of hair||Force pull hair away|
|Loose Anagen Syndrome||Short sparse hair||Disorder in the hair growth cycle|
Understanding the Hair Growth Cycle
The hair growth cycle consists of three distinct stages – Anagen, Catagen and Telogen phases.
|1. Anagen||Active hair growth||2 to 8 years|
|2. Catagen||Transitional hair growth||2 to 3 weeks|
|3. Telogen||Resting phase||2 to 3 month|
|The cycle repeats once the hair is shed and replaced after resting phase|
The lifecycle of hair growth(source)
Each of these follicles goes through the growth cycle at different times.
You only shed a certain number of hairs in a day – up to 80 hairs on a healthy head of hair.
Symptoms of Hair Fall
The most common type of hair fall causes
- Gradual thinning on top of the head
- Circular or patchy bald spots
- Sudden thinning of hair
Home Remedies for Hair Fall
- Wash your hair regularly with a gentle shampoo. Prevent and treat dandruff
- Regular exercise, work-life balance, no smoking and getting adequate sleep
- Avoid too many treatments such as coloring, perming, etc
- Avoid hairstyles that pull hair very tight
- Have a proper diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and proteins as shown in below table
Essential Nutrients for hair growth
|Vitamin A||Carrots, pumpkins, spinach|
|Vitamin B (Biotin)||Whole grains, fish, dark, leafy greens|
|Vitamin C||Citrus fruits, guava, lemon|
|Vitamin D||Fatty fish, cod liver oil|
|Vitamin E||Spinach, almonds|
|Iron||Spinach, lentils, eggs|
|Zinc||spinach, pumpkin seeds, lentils|
Consult a doctor if your hair-fall is consistent and does not respond to regular home care treatment.
Take a balanced diet, wash and condition hair regularly and ask the doctor if severe hair fall is there.
Heredity, stress, hormonal changes, and certain medications can cause hair fall
Hormonal changes (pregnancy, childbirth, menopause) and anemia.
80 to 100 hairs per day
Olive oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, and essential oils such as peppermint oil, etc are good for hair.
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily