Overcome Mental Health Disorder
One in 7 Indians suffers from some form of mental disorder including depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and autism accounting for a total of 197.3 million people.
The Burden of Mental Health
Depression and anxiety are the most common mental disorders affecting 45.7 million and 44.9 million people respectively.
Statistics of common mental issue
Workplace Mental Health Issues
The inability to cope with demands and pressure at work can lead to stress which may culminate in depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. Sexual harassment, bullying, and discrimination at the workplace are major causes of depression. Mental health issues affect performance and may cause limited productivity, poor judgement calls, absenteeism. Another major concern is that people are reluctant to accept or disclose mental health issues because of the associated stigma in India.
India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative revealed that Disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) caused by these 2 disorders has increased from 2·5% in 1990 to 4·7% in 2017.
DALY reported by public health foundation of India
Common Types of Mental Disorders
Mental health illness is characterized by mild to severe disturbances in thought and/or behavior. It is affected by mood resulting in various conditions as discussed below
Mood disorders occur due to emotional disturbances leading to prolonged periods of excessive sadness, excessive joyousness, or both.
- Depressive disorder: Severe depression is a state where one experiences feelings of sadness and hopelessness
- It is a severe mood disorder that ranges from manic stages of ecstasy (high) to major depressive states (lows)
Anxiety is a feeling of heightened nervousness, extreme distress, worry or fear.
Generalized anxiety disorder
- Excessive nervousness and worry about different issues and activities
Panic attacks and panic disorder
- Panic disorder comprises of recurrent periods of extreme distress, anxiety, or fear (panic attacks)
The disorder causes distress and inability to function properly due to unhealthy thinking, perceiving and behavior (eccentric, dramatic, rigid and anxious ).
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) includes obsessions and compulsions, making the person do or engage in unwanted behaviors or thoughts
- Antisocial Personality Disorder include irresponsible social behavior
- Borderline personality disorders include problems of being alone and abandonment
Disorders with abnormal thinking, perceiving and bizarre behavior like Schizophrenia.
- It's multifactorial that may include psychological, genetic, social factors
- The eating disorder includes anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
PTSD happens when one experiences/witnesses a very terrifying event leading to nightmares.
Substance abuse Disorder
When drugs or psychoactive substances are taken for inducing a sense of pleasure eg- Alcohol, caffeine, Cannabis, morphine LSD, etc.
Childhood Developmental Disorders: Not being able to concentrate, difficulty in understanding, etc.
- Attention deficit disorders
- Autism spectrum disorders
Causes of Mental Illnesses
It is thought that mental illness arises due to the interactions between certain genetic and environmental factors. Besides, in addition to drug and alcohol abuse, hormonal changes, early life environments, and traumatic events can also lead to mental illnesses.
Treatments Of Various Mental Illnesses
The treatment of mental health disorders is based on the type of disorder and the severity of symptoms. The mainstay is counseling, family support, medications, and Psychotherapy.
|Mental problems||Key Symptoms||Treatment|
|Bipolar disorder||Cyclic depression or mania||
Support and psychotherapy
Unusual thinking and behavior
|Post-traumatic stress disorder||
Difficulty in focus
|Developmental Disorders||Social interaction problems||Behavioral therapy
Prevent Mental Illness and Improve Mental Health
Commitment to self-care
Improvement in physical health status helps in mental health improvement. Exercise regularly, have a nutritious diet, drink plenty of water, limit consumption of caffeinated drinks and alcohol, Get a good night's sleep and Avoid Smoking.
Avoid stress and triggers
Love and respect yourself & Promote Social Inclusion
Seek professional help whenever it is needed.
Mental Health Counselling involves understanding, feeling and comprehending the gravity of the situation – how deeply the person is affected. If you feel that there are issues that are pulling you down and cannot discuss with others then book an appointment with us for an online doctor consultation where you can share in complete privacy.
Mood disorders (Depression and bipolar ), anxiety disorders, personality disorders, and psychotic disorders
Prolonged sadness, social withdrawal, extremely joyful, bizarre behavior, and extreme fear
People with Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, anorexia, and depression.
Mental health involves a good balance in one’s emotional, psychological, and social status to perform work fruitfully without stress.
Looking for a Doctor Advice?Schedule Appointment
Download the DocOnline App
- Live Chat with Doctors
- Book Doctor Appointment Online
- Speak to a Doctor within 15 Minutes
- Consult doctors via Audio/Phone Call & Video
- For You + 3 Family Members
- Store health records
- Read health tips
- Order Medicines Online & Get Lab Tests Done Easily