"A life well-travelled is a life well lived."
We are in that part of the year where everyone is looking forward to the upcoming vacations. The travel plans have been made and lots of discussions have already taken place on all the activities to indulge in, upon reaching the destination places.
But hold it. Take a pause and think what you have planned for your health!
There will be change in temperature, altitude, food and water. With long hours of travelling, change in the moisture content in the air (varying from dryness to humidity) and irregular food times, your normal routine is sure to get knocked out of balance.
Here are few pointers to follow while travelling. They will help you to stay healthy while you are on your vacation!
1. FITNESS CERTIFICATE
In case you are suffering from some chronic disease, consult a doctor online and obtain a fitness certificate. You should carry a prescription that lists all the medicines you are taking. This is a preventive measure, should anything untoward happen.
2. COMPRESSION STOCKINGS
Do you have a tendency for deep vein thrombosis? If so, then you should wear compression stockings during long hours of travel by air or by road.
3. MOTION SICKNESS
- In case you suffer from motion sickness, consult your doctor and keep medicines handy with you.
- Regular antiemetic and nausea drugs do not help.
- One needs stugeron (cinnarizine) or scopolamine for motion sickness.
- Ginger root is very helpful in avoiding the nauseating feeling.
- Do breathing exercises and look at the horizon. It helps in maintaining the alignment and avoiding motion sickness.
4. PREPARE ACCORDING TO THE CLIMATE OF THE TERRAIN YOU ARE TRAVELLING TO
- If you are travelling to a cold climate, make sure to carry warm clothes. Take creams to protect your skin as well. Keep yourself moisturized and be prepared with over the counter medicines for cold and cough. Ensure sufficient intake of warm fluids to keep your body at an optimal temperature so that you feel comfortable. Preferably avoid ice-cold drinks.
- However, if you are travelling to a warm destination, then carry appropriate clothing to avoid sunburns. Ensure that you take precautions against dehydration by drinking sufficient amount of water and fluids.
- If you are travelling to a high altitude, be aware of altitude sickness. Give your body at least a day to acclimatize to the height scaled. Keep Diamox tablets handy just in case one develops mountain sickness.
5. FOOD AND WATER
- Gastric upset is the most common ailment that people suffer from during travels. Keep medicines for loose motions and acidity handy with you.
- Avoid street food and try to eat in busy restaurants.
- Eat fruits with thick skin which you can peel yourselves on the way.
- Avoid eating cut salads in restaurants. Take special care of the drinking water.
- Cut down on sugar while travelling. Refined sugar can reduce your immunity.
- Eat light food at night and drink warm water in the mornings to avoid constipation.
Get sufficient sleep. Don’t try to cover maximum sights in one day; you will exhaust yourself.
Try to do simple stretches and little cardio exercises while travelling. It will keep the body fatigue away and there will be no break in your fitness routine.
Walk a lot. Even if it is a long hour road-travel or by flight, take a break. Get up and stretch yourself.
These are some simple tips but are often neglected. Following them will surely help you to enjoy your trip to the fullest and ensure that you make a happy memorable holiday! After all, isn’t that, what we all want?