The group of viruses that looks like a crown (corona) under the microscope can cause infection in humans, birds, and animals.
Coronaviruses in Human
7 types of coronaviruses can cause infections in humans.
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a new strain of coronavirus that has been responsible for the recent outbreak, first identified in Wuhan, China.
|Types||Common Name||Acronym||Associated illness|
|1||Human Coronavirus 229E||HCoV-229E||Common cold|
|2||Human Coronavirus NL63||HCoV-NL63||Common cold|
|3||Human Coronavirus OC43||HCoV-OC43||Common cold|
|4||Human Coronavirus HKU1||HCoV-HKU1||Common cold|
|5||Severe acute respiratory syndrome- Coronavirus||SARS-CoV||SARS|
|6||Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus||MERS-CoV||Severe acute respiratory infection|
|7||Novel coronavirus||2019-nCoV||Severe respiratory infection (Pneumonia)|
Number of cases in Global epidemic caused by SARS and MERS coronavirus
Sign and Symptoms of Coronaviruses
Coronavirus causes the symptoms of the common cold such as the runny nose, sneezing, sore throat, body aches, fatigue, cough.
SARS and MERS cause severe respiratory infection which includes:
- High-grade fever
- Severe cold
- Muscle aches
- Difficulty in breathing
- GI Symptoms(1/3rd cases)
- Abdominal pain
Mode of Transmission
It occurs through person to person contact with an infected person through
- Coughing and sneezing
- Touching the face or shaking hands
- Using infected things (utensils, pillow)
- Clinical evaluation & history of exposure
- Testing of respiratory secretions
- Blood tests
Precautions to prevent Coronavirus
Follow simple measures to reduce the risk of infection
- Wash hands with soap and warm water
- Keep hands and fingers away from eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay away from infected people and things used by them
Isolation of the patient who has contracted the infection is recommended and most of the affected individuals usually recover within 1 to 2 weeks. It is primarily supportive treatment under the advice of a doctor.
There is no specific vaccine or cure for coronavirus
Everything travellers need to know
- Avoid contact with an infected person
- Delay your visit to affected areas
- Take all precautionary measures to reduce the risk of getting an infection
- Avoid close contact with live or dead farm or wild animals
- Seek immediate medical attention if you show signs of respiratory illness after the visit
Yes, SARS, MERS, and 2019-nCoV can cause fatal respiratory illness.
Symptoms develop usually after 3 days
No, there is no vaccine for coronavirus
Canine coronavirus (that affects dog) does not affect humans