Come 2019 and it’s a brand-new year that we welcome with full gusto. It’s the time of making new resolutions. And many of them will have fizzled out within a few days. But how about making some this year that will actually last and benefit you as the year progresses?
So, is health your top priority? If not, you should actually make it! Why?
It is because if you focus on your health and your holistic well-being then you shall find yourself well-equipped to accomplish everything that you intend to do this year and you’ll find things falling in place. For instance, taking care of your health means you are treating your body properly, which will help you develop maximum energy, gain clarity, enable you to focus better and accomplish your goals that, in turn, will boost your self-confidence. And what more? With proper health you can enjoy all the gifts of life to the fullest.
How to make resolutions effective?
Keep the resolutions SMART – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-Bound. For instance, if you say, “I will lose weight in 2019”, then that is vague. If you say, “I’ll lose 20 kgs in January”, then that is unrealistic. However, if you say,” I’ll lose 5 kgs by May”, it is quite possible and target oriented.
What really helps sustain a resolution?
Resolutions consist of simple habits. What makes them sustainable is the act of discipline. For instance, if you have sparkling teeth, then you have it because you spend 2 minutes in the morning and at night brushing your teeth everyday. It’s that act of brushing those dedicated 2 minutes religiously everyday that sustains the resolution and brings it to life.
Let’s look at some simple health resolutions for 2019:
- Wake up early and drink a liter of water. Waking up early gives you the whole day to yourself. Make most of it. Drinking water on an empty stomach helps cleanse the body internally, getting it prepared for the day.
- Eat right: Good nutrition is about treating your body to a healthy balanced diet. Nutrition is not only about taking supplements such as vitamin tablets, but it should begin with a plate rich in foods. Nutrition is about more than vitamins—it also includes fiber and healthy fats. Add healthy fats to your diet.
- Exercise: Regular exercise, morning walk, brisk walk, any fitness regime is important to help improve blood circulation and intake of oxygen that keeps all your cells functioning at their best.
- Sleep: Go to bed at a specific time and get continuous sleep for 6-8 hours at a stretch. This will help you wake up feeling fresh and rejuvenated, ready to take on the day. Maintaining the time is important because that way your body is tuned to a particular rhythm enabling you to function, think and execute smoothly.
- Meditate: Physical workout including exercises, yoga asanas and an active routine can be advantageous in increasing flexibility, balance and energy levels while strengthening muscles naturally. More importantly, meditation helps in establishing inner harmony and brings about a sense of peace, calmness, composure and harmony.
- Throw yourself into a hobby you love: This activity is for nourishing your soul. It will add meaning to your life and there will be a sense of fulfillment. It could be gardening, playing an instrument, writing, anything you love doing!
- Quit Smoking: Just say, “I’ll not smoke today!” and stand by it. Smoking counteracts the benefits of all the resolutions mentioned here. Hence, it is necessary that smoking should be done away with.
Not all fats are bad. Foods with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are important for your brain and heart. Limit foods with trans fats, which increase the risk for heart disease. Good sources of healthy fats include olive oil, nuts, seeds, certain types of fish, and avocados. Avocados are full of healthy fats. Top a salad or try some avocado in your morning smoothie.
Sprinkle nuts or seeds (like slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds) on soups or salads. Add a fish with healthy fats, like salmon or tuna, into your meals twice a week. Swap processed oils (like canola or soybean oil) with oils that are cold-pressed, like extra-virgin olive oil and sesame oil.
Now, these are simple, right? And now that you have the mantra of just ‘standing by them’ till these small acts become your second nature, you are all set to take on the new year well!
Good Morning Healthy 2019!
Looking for Doctor's Advice?