It’s well documented that people with a weak immune system may end up having serious disease after contracting viral COVID-19 infection. Immunity plays an important role in assessing the outcomes of disease. While we are eagerly waiting for an effective vaccine for COVId-19, our immunity remains the best defense mechanism against invading virus
Read these simple tips that our Doctors at DocOnline say to keep in mind. You can also speak to them. Go on and give them a call today on +91 8822 126 126. It’s FREE. You could download our app for free and chat with them as well here
5 Tips to build a robust immunity: A healthy outside starts from the inside!
1. Have a balanced diet to maintain healthy body weight
- Eat more fruits and vegetables rich diet
- Have a low fat, low carb and high fiber diet to maintain sugar and cholesterol levels.
Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants- Essential nutrients for immune strengthening
The deficiency of vitamins and minerals makes one prone to get an infection. Take supplements only if your levels are not optimal to prevent toxicity, under medical supervision. Suffice the regular dose with diet [Table 1]
- A hyperactive immune system in COVID-19 infected patients is primarily responsible for acute lung distress and not the virus itself.
- Healthy levels of Vitamin D keeps a check on the immune system and prevents it from being overactive.
Source: Egg yolk, Fortified foods, fatty fish
|Fruits and vegetables
|Citrus fruits(oranges, lemons), Bell peppers, Broccoli, Spinach, Papaya
|Vitamin C, E, Beta carotenes, antioxidants
|Almonds, Sunflower seeds
|Vitamin E, Proteins
|Flax seeds, Walnuts
|Omega-3 fatty acids
|Raisins, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
|Garlic, gooseberries (amla)
|Turmeric, Ginger, Black Pepper
The Ministry of Ayush has recommended Ayurvedic immunity-boosting measures to prevent and fight viral infection.
- Drink warm water sip by sip throughout the day
- Add immunity-enhancing spices to diet such as Coriander, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Cumin Seeds, Garlic
- Drink herbal tea/decoction made from Tulsi, Cinnamon, Black pepper, Dry Ginger and raisin
- Steam inhalation with fresh Mint leaves /Caraway seeds or take clove powder mixed with honey during a dry cough or sore throat
2. Drink plenty of water...
Hydration is important to remove toxins or other bacteria from the body. Drink at least 8 glasses of water
3. Beat the Stress
Stress may suppress /weaken immunity.
- Stay active, practice pranayama, and meditation every day, Learn new things, indulge in your hobbies and laugh out loud
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
4. Sleep well
5. Exercise Regularly
Regular exercise such as yoga, walking, spot jogging, floor exercises, etc is essential to maintain a healthy immune system