Apple Cider Vinegar is made by fermenting apple juice. It is popular for its healing properties and used as medicine in natural health communities for centuries. Literature reveals that Hippocrates used it with honey as a healing elixir, antibiotic, and tonic for general health in 400 B.C.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar with "Mother"?
The unfiltered and unrefined vinegar with cloudy and murky appearance is called apple cider vinegar with "mother". It is used for drinking purposes and has many health benefits due to the presence of beneficial bacteria, yeast and protein. When the culture of bacteria is removed during filtration and refining, it results in clear and transparent apple cider vinegar. The healing properties of vinegar are due to acetic acid and other beneficial compounds present in it.
Nutritional Value of Apple Cider Vinegar
|Nutrition||Value (per 100g)|
|Energy||21 Kcal [90KJ]|
Source: Vinegar, cider. U.S. Department of Agriculture
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar [ACV]
ACV is claimed to offer many health benefits when consumed in a small quantity, either used in cooking or mixed with water. The benefits of ACV may include
- Studies, have documented Improved Blood Sugar Levels and Insulin Sensitivity in Diabetics
- Improves Heart Health as studies have shown that ACV lowers Cholesterol and reduces the Blood Pressure
- ACV helps in Weight Loss along with dietary and lifestyle changes
- ACV is known to Boost the Immunity
- It is a natural remedy to treat a runny nose, postnasal drip, and sinus infections
- Regulates digestion by increasing healthy gut flora. It is also used as a natural remedy to treat heartburn and acid reflux
- ACV helps in treating the bacterial infection causing stomach issues owing to its antimicrobial properties
- ACV helps in preventing various types of cancer
- ACV is a Tonic for strength. Reduces fatigue and increases the energy levels
- ACV strengthens and improves hair health
- ACV cures small overgrowths over skin [Warts] caused by viruses
- Improves Skin Health
Risks and Side Effects... A Warning
Undiluted vinegar or large quantity consumed for a long time may damage tooth enamel and can cause throat burns or stomach upset. It needs to be cautiously used in patients on potassium lowering medicines and Diabetics as it alters the level of Insulin and potassium.
Yes, Apple cider vinegar in diluted form can be used daily
It is usually taken just before meals for better digestion
The unfiltered and unrefined vinegar with cloudy and murky appearance is called apple cider vinegar with "mother", and the filtered & refined form is apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a detoxifier in raw form (ACV with mother)
Yes, it is traditionally used as a skin toner, helps in treating pimples, and softens the skin