Dark circles under the eyes (Periorbital hyperpigmentation) is a very common condition that can affect persons of all ages.
It is defined as a homogenous, round, darkening of the skin (blue to dark brown or black color) around or under both eyes
An Indian study found out that dark circles are more prevalent in women than in men.
Prevalence of Dark circles in women vs men in an Indian study
Types of Dark circles
Dark circles are classified based on clinical analysis, the pattern of pigmentation and vasculature
Classification of dark eye circles
|Pigmented (P)||As brown hue under eye|
|Vascular (V)||A blue/pink/purple color hue +/- puffiness|
|Mixed type||Combination of 2 or 3 of the above (PV, PS, PVS, etc)|
Prevalence of types of Dark circles under eyes in a study
Dark circles can be caused by many conditions such as
- Lack of sleep & Fatigue
- Frequent eye rubbing
- Eyestrain(watching T.V, seeing computer screen)
- Aging hollows (thinning of skin due to loss of fat and collagen with age)
- Medical conditions like Allergy, Eczema, Thyroid, Anemia, etc
- Lack of Correction of Refraction errors
- Alcohol consumption
- Skin pigment irregularities
Common causes of Dark circles under eyes in Indian population
Symptoms of Dark circles
Dark patch under eyes, puffiness of eyelid (eye bags), tiredness, weakness, purple or bluish hue under eyes depending on skin color.
You may need to visit a doctor if discoloration persists for a long time or appears under just one eye.
Management of dark circles under eyes
The medical treatment to reduce dark circles is based on the correction of the cause by a certified dermatologist.
- A cold compress under eyes may reduce puffiness under eyes
- Lifestyle and diet modification
Lifestyle modifications to get rid of dark circles….
- Take enough rest and adequate sleep
- Avoid excessive sun exposure, allergen, and pollution
- Avoid smoking
- Regular exercise and yoga to reduce stress
- A balanced nutritional Diet
- Drink enough water to keep skin hydrated
- Limit consumption of caffeine and alcohol
- Add probiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to diet for healthy skin and to reduce dark circles
Natural remedies for dark circles
Certain natural ingredients are scientifically reported to reduce the dark circles under eyes as listed in the below table.
Natural ingredients to reduce dark circles
|Green Tea Bags||
|Tomato juice||lycopene and beta-carotene reduces oxidative skin damage|
|Potato juice||Reduces pigmentation and puffiness under eyes|
|Aloe Vera||Reduces pigmentation|
Dark circles usually go away after making lifestyle modifications. If it persists and bothers, book an appointment with DocOnline
Adequate good night’s sleep, a balanced nutritional diet, and avoid stress.
A cold compress and cold tea bags may help to get rid of dark circles.
Adequate sleep, a balanced nutritional diet, and application of cold compress over the affected area.
Stress, heredity, lack of sleep, eye strain and allergy may cause dark circles under eyes.
Vitamin K and vitamin C are essentially good for dark circles under eyes.